Tuesday, August 26, 2008

......the old and the new.............

This is our little local public library........I've been reading here since before I started to school. I loved to sit in the little chairs at the little tables in the "children's room". And I have checked out thousands of books and magazines from this building over the years and now the "powers that be" have decided we need a newer and larger building. They could have added another story above; and another wing in the rear; and another wing to the right that would connect/butt against the beautiful old courthouse.
........so this is going to be the "front" entrance to the humongous new library building, only one block away. With very little parking. And no "character" at all. But it has LOTS of space and little rooms and big rooms and computer rooms and research rooms, etc. And three entrances! And all that high-peaked roof space up there?.........well it's not another story to be used for anything.........it's FULL of miles of ductwork for the heating and air conditioning units.
I'm just too old for this and don't like change anyway. Especially to the tune of millions of dollars from us taxpayers and property owners, who can ill afford this new luxury building. By the way, our Warren County is about 97th down the list of North Carolina's 100 poorest counties! I only hope when they move my beloved books they will also find space for the memorials that were given in honor of loved ones, like the main counter and wonderful old original oil paintings and the children's little chairs and tables with the memorial plaques attached. I'll go sit there and do my reading and grieve for my beloved "old" library building.


On a happier note, I took off across the farm to a neighbor's house the other day and saw what our "farmer/cousin/neighbors" next door had done in their old vegetable garden space! Aren't these the neatest corn shocks you ever saw?!! I thought for a minute I was in Williamsburg, VA! But they assured me there were more shocks to be made, and pumpkins growing down further in the field........won't they be ready for Halloween and Thanksgiving?!! I'll keep you posted..........


1 comment:

Sue said...

I agree, it's a monstrosity. My preferance would certainly have been to adapt the old building, keep the charm - and activity! - on Main St.