Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Post Office mural............

Our pretty old post office building on Main Street has wonderful woodwork as shown above this door, and a hand-painted mural all across that wall above the paneled wall. I got a quick photo of the mural the other day while waiting in line to mail a package.......it's up so high that most people don't even notice it, but I've always loved it and wondered how it came to be there. It shows a meandering creek and cows and horses and Warren County's three most-loved trees: magnolia, pine and cedar. I stood on tip-toe and couldn't make out the artist's name, but the date it was painted looked to be 1936. The scene is very pastoral like much of our rural county, and lovely. I'll have to ask some of our local history buffs and get the details of the mural........I wonder if the artist was a native, or a traveler just passing through..................

3 comments:

GraceBeading said...

Hi Phyl,

I tried to send you an email but kept receiving failure messages, so thought I'd just post here what I found

Hi Phyllis,

Loved your post on the mural in the local post office, so I did a little research and found out the artist is Alice Dineen and she did a mural for a PO in Kentucky as well.

Here's a bit of info on it - maybe you can educate the local historians :-)
http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/resources/6a2q_postalmurals.html

It's called North Carolina Pastoral and was painted in 1938.

Here's a link to the one she painted in Kentucky in 1940
http://www.wpamurals.com/CorbinKY.htm

And even more info about the WPA Murals
http://www.wpamurals.com/

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Wasn't that great, that Grace found all that information?

Perhaps because I wasn't a life long resident, I *did* notice the mural and loved it. I always felt so fortunate to live in an area with so much respect for the existing architecture and artworks.
Your recent photos of the cemetery, the mural, and the beautiful banner photo of crocus have me feeling very reminiscent, almost "homesick." Thanks so much for sharing them.

Jackie (Tillie's Daughter) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.